Thursday, March 18, 2010

it's been a while (warning, this post is going to suck)

I've been busy playing video games, watching movies and wedding planning.

If you're looking for something to read, here's an article on Justice Stevens. It's full of interesting stuff on the politics of the Supreme Court.

Here is an interview with John Edwards' former mistress. After reading this, I get the impression that John Edwards wants to be single for a while. It blows my mind that a guy like him is out there on the campaign trail having unprotected sex.

I liked this short story by Junot Diaz. I read this one by him a couple of years ago and liked it too.

Also, The New Yorker now requires a subscription to read the full text of a Malcolm Gladwell article. Those without a subscription only get access to a 200-word summary. They have this completely backwards!! His ideas are interesting, but every time I read a Malcolm Gladwell article (or book), I think to myself, "Man, I wish I could just get a 200-word summary of it." I'd pay to get the summary. And now they're giving it away for free! (and charging for the full text!!)

I'll post something of substance next week. I promise.

Advice of the week: Eloping might be underrated.

I watched a documentary about Walmart couple of weeks ago. (good title: "The High Cost of Low Price.") On one hand, I agree that it's sad what Walmart does to small businesses and to its own labor force. But on the other hand, what do people expect? Walmart is not a charity. It doesn't have a duty to help people. Walmart's duty is to its shareholders. (In defense of the documentary: the end shows how people can get involved with their local governments to keep Walmarts out of their towns.) I listened to an interview of a guy who wrote a book criticizing Walmart last year, and at the end, the interviewer asked the author if he shopped at Walmart, the writer hesitated and then said "yes" and gave a long stuttering explanation of why. If you don't like Walmart, the first thing you should do is not shop there.

(What a terrible blog entry. I'm really sorry about this. My readers deserve much better. I am truly ashamed of myself. I promise something next week.)

No comments: