Thursday, October 17, 2013

Book Postmortem Day 4 - First Revision

The section called  Notes On Reading and Apathy (And Why I’m Not a Memoirist) has a lot of unnecessary memoiry shit. So rather include proof of why I'm not a memoirist AND identify it as such, I can just delete both. (pp1.5-3.5 should be deleted)

It saves ink. Saves paper. Saves the future reader's time. It saves energy.


I hadn't touched the book all week, but knew I'd eventually have to fix that part, so I opened it this morning and started going through it, and then I had lunch with Ponce who pointed out the same thing (his biggest critique so far -- he's on p128.) Perfect timing.

I haven't earned the right to do that kind of memoiring unless it's done better --- which is better than I'm capable of doing. (Which is a point I should make clearer in the dedication too.) (Consider that Revision #2)

(I got sidetracked because I wanted to defend high school english, and next thing I know I was meandering through my life story in terms of reading.)

Has anyone else read that part and have any feelings about it?


...


The bad news is I'm starting a project tomorrow.

This process is going to be weird.

I know that certain parts of the book need work, and I know that certain other parts probably need work, but I can't sit down and plow straight through them because I don't know how to fix them. I suspect that your reactions might show me how to fix them. Maybe you won't react at all; maybe some are not as bad as I think. It worked out perfectly today.


The added weirdness is now I've gotta think about the book in terms of an unknown reader. I've always thought of it being read by friendly readers. It's different to think about it being read by someone who doesn't know me.

No comments: